When PhD positions are advertised, they often come with funding attached. It is possible to get PhD funding via other means however, here are some examples that include astronomy.
- Bell Burnell Graduate Scholarship Fund – offered to those who belong to groups that are currently under-represented in physics (e.g. women, BAME students, students with disabilities, LGBT+ students, students from disadvantaged backgrounds, students with refugee status).
- TWAS – PhD fellowships for scientists from developing countries.
- OWSD – PhD fellowships for women scientists from Science and Technology Lagging Countries.
- Forrest – PhD scholarships including fees, stipend, accommodation and travel allowance to study at a university in Western Australia.
- University of Surrey – PhD Studentships for UK/European students and international students.
- SIRAT – PhD scholarships at the UCD School of Physics in Dublin, open to all nationalities.